Gourmet Scented Candles

Welcome to my business world of gourmet candles. I love burning scented candles as do most people. They offer a scent of familiar times, a sence of relaxation, and warmth. If you love candles you will love reading my blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topeka, KS

Over 20 years in the direct selling industry doesn't make me an expert but I know that my experience shows leadership, skill and success.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Apply the 80/20 Rule to Everything

We would definitely have enough time to do the things we want to do if we just do it right!

In Chapter three of "Eat that Frog" The author tells us that we miss use this 80/20 rule. We don't get the things that should be done first thing done. It is better to just jump it, instead of dipping our toes.

The Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto first wrote the Pareto Principle. He noticed that people seem to divide up into two groups. The top 20 percent seem to have more money, are more successful, and more influence. The bottom 80 percent seem not to have any of this.

Have you ever heard that 20% of your activities will account for 80% of your results, or 20% of your customer's will account for 80% of your sales, or how about 20% of your products or services will account for 80% of your profits. Fact is that 20% of your tasks will account for 80% of the value of what you do.

It is a sad fact that 10 or 20 percent of items that are the most valuable and important, the "Vital Few". They busy themselves instead with the least important 80 percent, the "Trivial Many" that contribute very little to the results.

We need to focus on the activities, not the results. Didn't your mother ever tell you to just try! As a mother of two myself, I look at this chapter and value them. I look at them each day and see them making lists, trying it all, even if they fail, head high and seem proud. But I see myself not following that same rule. As adults we tend to be valued on the accomplishments don't we. Not many of us have bosses that say, Nice try, or Get them next time. If we fail we fear what comes next. Downsizing and not making the cut.

As I read this chapter I figured out why I have chosen the path of being the boss. I also noticed that I am not doing everything I can to make my career and my income level what it can be.

Discover this chapter and tackle this big fish. You will feel good about it.

See you tomorrow,
Stephanie Blaker
Gourmet Candles 4 Cash
"Putting our scents to work for you"
http://www.GourmetCandles4Cash.com